Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Oooops... Five Years Already! Part IV

Note: If you missed the previous installments of my 5 years in the USA recap, feel free to looking through part I, part II and part III first! ;-)

2008 was my year of change.

Looking through he pictures of the road trip with my brother, I was looking at myself and noticed that I don't recognize me in them. Of course I knew that it was me, but what I saw didn't reflect how I felt and I started out on a quest to finally look the way I felt, only to find out that being active and dropping the weight makes me feel so much more alive than I ever thought possible.

Half way through my weight loss journey, I spent a weekend at Folly Beach with a bunch of friends. And before anybody asks... No, this isn't my bike, we were just goofying around. During that weekend, I also ran along the beach for the first time in my life! ;-)


In June two friends/co-workers and I made the trip to Mexico City to see a friend getting married. After a couple of days we took off to Playa Del Carmen for some beach time.


Unfortunately, Terry wasn't able to join me on both trips, but sometime in July we spent an afternoon in Charlotte NC, where this picture was taken. It's one of my favorite pictures from the two of us ever!


Later that same month, I was on a business trip in Germany and my mom came to visit me over the weekend. I told her that I was in the process of losing weight, but she hadn't seen any pictures yet... I think I will never forget the look on her face when she saw my slimmed down version for the first time!


In August, I had to do another business trip to Germany and while already on the continent, I was able to join some friends from my Volkswagen days for a hiking trip along the Burren Way in Ireland.... That was a rainy week, even for Ireland! ;-)



That year, I also turned 30 and I can honestly say that starting off my 30s, I was fitter, healthier and happier than ever before in my life!


In November, I ran my first race EVER. The "Run the Falls" 8K organized by the Middle Tyger YMCA.


And two weeks later I ran my second race. The Dan Davis Memorial Turkey Trot 5K.


So long! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment