Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Getting the Hang on Pre-Race Nutrition

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, just sharing my personal experiences!

I learned a lesson or two over the last couple of months racing...

One of the things I seemed to get better at is the pre-race nutrition. Only very little queasy stomach going lately and no major disasters.

Anyways, here is my list of things to AVOID/ REDUCE starting at least two days before a race. If it's a longer event (going on 2 hours and over), I do those steps even earlier in the week.
  • Reduce fiber at least two days before race day.
  • No raw vegetables.
  • Reduce dairy intake.
  • No greasy foods.
  • No alcohol.
  • No diet coke.
  • No sweets.
Out of that list, the diet coke is probably the hardest part for me... And yes, I am fully aware that I don't have any business drinking diet sodas to start with.

Looking at it now, this is pretty straight forward... Tell me again, why I have to write this down? Oh yes, because I once thought that running a 5-mile race on donuts and greasy pizza would be a good idea... Thinking of this day makes my eye twitch.

What do you avoid before race day to keep the tummy happy?

*****************

Neck Update: Things have been much better today. Not quite back to normal yet, but much better. I even got to do my run. It was my first tempo run in MONTHS and I am happy about it.... Goody goody.

No comments:

Post a Comment