Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sizzling!

A couple of days ago, I saw a co-worker jogging over lunch on the company parking lot... In long cotton jogging pants straight out of the first Rocky movie... The temperature was somewhere in the 90's. A disaster waiting to happen!

Yeah... I am fully aware that I not always follow the advice that I am about to give you, but I sure strive for improvement in these areas. So here we go:

  • Hydration, hydration, hydration: Take in fluid and lots of it and best would be water. I know, I am a regular offender of this rule by drinking Coke Zero way too often, but I also try to drink water for the rest of the day. If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated, so put a big cup on your desk and sip along all day.
  • More hydration and electrolytes: before you leave the house to exercise , take another big sip of water and make sure to take an appropriate amount of fluid with you depending on the duration of the planned workout and the weather conditions. In order to replace electrolytes while working out, you can take a sports drink along. I prefer to use Emergen-C for that purpose, since I don't stomach sports drinks well. Mixing apple juice with water (1/3 to 2/3) is a perfect drink to replace fluids AND electrolytes once you are done with your workout.
  • And one more tip about hydration: fill up your water bottles half way and stick it in the freezer over night and then take them out and top them off in the morning before you head out. Have one bottle in your car in a insulated bag to have a nice cool drink once you get back to the car.
  • Dress appropriately: use technical material that wicks the moisture away from your body, the hotter it gets, the more comfortable is loose fitting closing in a light color. Use sun glasses to protect your eyes, a hat to protect you head (I should do that more often) and SUNSCREEN!!!!! to protect your skin! Since I use an outdoor pool sometimes, I even use goggles with dark lenses and wear one of these snorkeling t-shirts (tight fitting t-shirts out of technical fabric with build in UV protection). 
  • Stay cool: Try to avoid exercise during the hottest time of the day. Pick a shaded route. Reduce the intensity of your planned exercise.
Oh.... And here is a nice treat to keep your pooch cool.

Just fill a cup with doggy treats and carrots, fill up with water and put it in the freezer over night. Karma is ALL OVER this one and doesn't even give me the sad puppy eyes when I leave in the morning, because she is so distracted by it!


So long! ;-)

PS: No workouts for me today. Hurt my back and was in bed all day trying to move as little as possible. After a visit to the chiropractor things have improved some, but still in pain. Hopefully it's better by tomorrow!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment