Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Midweek Inspiration: Age Is Just A Number

A couple of weeks ago I did my first "Midweek Inspiration" piece on this channel and and I am thinking that it might be worth doing a regular installment.... Sometimes, we all just need a hump-day-pick-me-up! ;-)

  • Diana Nyad is going to try to swim from Florida to Cuba in August. She failed* at her previous two attempts and is now going for this challenge again at age 60. Read the full story here. My favorite part of the article is her statement: "Look at 60-year-olds today. They're not old, and I'm not old. I'm older than I was, yes. I'm slower than I was, but I'm still vital and I'm still powerful, [...]." YOU GO GIRL!!!
  • Cliff Young was an Australian farmer who entered the Westfield Sydney to Melbourne Ultra Marathon (544 miles) at age 61 and won the whole thing. He raced people in full blown athletic gear while wearing an overall and work boots! Read the whole story here.
  • Nola Ochs graduated from college in May 2007 with history degree at the age of 95. That made her the oldest college graduate in the world at the time**. Favorite statement here: “You’re as young as you think you are. It’s just a number.”
*failed is a harsh word in the context, because no matter how far she got in her attempts it was longer than most people in the world swim all their lives possibly
**not sure, if she still holds that record

Happy Hump Day!

PS: With this post, we conclude the month of June along with the first half of 2010... Where did the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment