Saturday, May 15, 2010

Trail Run Fail

Today, I made it back on a trail to run the first time in months. I signed up to run the Paris Mountain Trail 15K in two weeks and I thought it might be smart to run the course since it has been a while... like a year or so. To explain the "fail" portion of the post title right away... I didn't  run the 15K course.... I ended up close to 8 miles. Once I reached the top of Sulphur Springs Trail, I just knew that I wasn't going anywhere. I felt weak, my legs felt heavy and my heart rate was all over the place. True, this portion is the most difficult section of the course, but I didn't feel like pushing myself through the whole thing. So Brian (Team D.N.R. member) and Terry kept going towards Kanuga and I headed into the opposite direction back down to the car.

Once I was back at the state park office, I decided to add the Lake Placid Loop and then even added the Turtle Trail... The trails there are a little flatter and I also had the security of not being stranded exhausted on top of the mountain, but being close to the car.

Here is the map of today's run.


And here is the elevation chart... When I said "steepest section" above that translates into a 11% grade.


Yeah... I didn't look too fresh after that number.


A little gear side note: I took my Camelbak M.U.L.E. with me and it certainly is not the best hydration pack for running. It's a little on the heavy side and the water sloshes around a lot. At least it stays put on my back better than the smaller Camelbak Charm that I own. And I sure was glad that I had that much water with me... it was humid out there, even in the morning. Well, in order to get the best of both worlds (lightweight and stays put) I ordered the Nathan Hydration Vest. So far, I only read good reviews about this product and can't wait to take it out next week, when I once again try run the WHOLE course of the 15K race.

So long! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I met Brian in the parking lot so must have missed you by minutes. Anyhow, there's no shame in WALKING up sulphur springs.. none :)

    As for the M.U.L.E.. I have one of those too, its really bike pack but I liked the 3L reservoir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - you probably passed them on the drive in!

    ReplyDelete