Monday, May 17, 2010

About Pins And Needles

I was hoping that life is getting a little less crazy once the wedding is over, but well... I guess that didn't happen, at least not quite yet. One of the things that needs my immediate attention is getting my permanent residency, now that we are married.

To be honest, I completely underestimated the time, paperwork and money that will have to flow into this project for the next couple of days and most likely weeks. Thinking of the paperwork alone makes my head hurt a little, because "Form English" is by far more difficult to comprehend that normal spoken English and I am pretty sure that even native speakers do have their issues with it.... I know I have issues with German forms as well. Before I can even get bothered to fill out the paperwork, there is tons of stuff that needs to be gathered and copied and translated (certified of course).

One of the "peaks" of this process is certainly the medical examination... So this morning, I spent a couple of hours in a doctor's office to be examined and getting poked with needles.... repeatedly. One blood drawing, one tuberculosis skin test, and two vaccines (tetanus and chicken pocks - fortunately, I could prove that I have been vaccinated against everything else that was required) later my left arm hurts*... And on Thursday, I have to go back for the results and hopefully, there won't be any more tests... There are only so much needles I can take in one week.

*Actually, by now I have trouble lifting my arm up. Fortunately, I don't need to lift my arm to ride my bike! ;-)

And since this was such a serious content post, here are a couple of Monday pick-me-ups... I know that I need them:

2 comments:

  1. You grew up in Europe, you got a BCG shot as kid. You'll test positive for tuberlosis and thus, in the American tradition, earn an anual chest xray for life ( you can read about the pros and cons of the European and American approaches to TB prevention on wikipedia :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that I most likely are going to test positive due to the vaccine, but what they forgot to tell me is that I will need an annual chest xray in the future... that is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete