Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sweet Relieve

Fall... It seems like fall has finally arrived here. Believe it or not, but I didn't really started to sweat a whole lot until half way through my run this morning and I slept in and didn't even get on the trail until 8.30am!!!


I got another long run in today and it was basically a repeat from my long run from three weeks ago... Complete repeat... Down to the average pace. Only.... It felt easier today and the course was a little more challenging as well. I guess, it wasn't a complete repeat over all then! ;-)

All in all, I continue to be really pleased in how the preparation for the Spinx Half is coming along.

Lately, I had some foot and calf soreness going on. I just couldn't figure out why those things came up all of a sudden. Until I read an article in the Triathlete Magazine (the Kona edition) named: "A Guide to Gear Replacement". For shoes it says: "Every three months or 300 miles. Racing shoes every 200 miles".

Well, this is no news for me.... Well, only 300 miles were kind of new to me, but for things like that, everyone has a different opinion. Anyways, it at least started to make me think about how long I am using me current shoes. I am rotating between a pair of Adidas Kanadia TR and Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8 for the past.... wait... here is comes.... YEAR! I am running in the same shoes for a complete year now! And I am surprised that my feet are sore.... Kinda funny, don't you think?

I love love love the Kanadia TR shoes and actually had 2 pairs sitting in the closet for several months now. So finally today, I switched to a new pair and it sure is a complete different feeling right away. For kicks, I put on a new shoe on my left and an old one on my right and yes, it was certainly time to retire the old pair. The arch support was basically non existent in the old shoe.

And no, I didn't go out for a run in one old and one new shoes. I just walked around a little in the house! ;-)

Now that I started using a new pair, I also started to use the equipment tracker that the training log on Beginner Triathlete offers. This way, I am not going to run in long overdue shoes anymore.

Now I just need to get a new pair of the Brooks and I am all set again. Rotating between those two pairs has really worked for me and you know... never change a winning team.

So long! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. i always thought i was a summer girl, but i realllly like sleeping in and still being able to run on the weekend in cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete