Monday, March 7, 2011

That's a Wash!

It's Monday and sunny outside... You need me to say this again... It's MONDAY and it's SUNNY outside... While over the weekend (the time when a lot of people don't have to go to work) it poured down buckets... BUCKETS!!!!!

Let's rewind....


So there was Saturday... The rain dance sure worked... Just the stopping of the rain dance was a complete desaster and very unsuccessful.

I was determined to ride these 70 miles, that were on plan for that day. D.E.T.E.R.M.I.N.E.D! I bullied Terry into joining me for this ride, because... Well, just because. We packed up the car while it drizzled off and on. When we finally left the house at around 9am it started pouring down. We drove for 10 minutes in the pouring rain and then decided that this whole trip was pretty pointless. So we stopped at BiLo for some grocery shopping and then turned around and headed back home.

After being lazy for a couple of hours, I finally got on the trainer... 4.5 hours on the trainer are just not appealing, but I had way too many snacks... I was eventually carb-ed up (read: guilted) enough to muster up the courage to get on the trainer.

The 1st  hour was a warm-up and with the "Fashion Police" on, the time actually passed pretty fast. The next hour was intervals and the StyleNetwork which also passed really fast, but not because of the TV show, but because of those nasty little interval buggers. Then 30 minutes easy spinning, followed by 20 minutes of more intervals, 20 minutes of spinning and then the last 20 minutes of intervals.... By the end of all that, my quads were yelling at me... Begging for mercy! But if you kept tally, then you will notice, that I was still missing one hour.... With yelling quads, a hurting butt and a sore spot on my right foot, I was so ready to call it a day.... And there were still 60 minutes left to kill. If it wasn't for a documentary about the XTERRA Off-Road Tri World Championships, I don't think I would have made it. I was going back and forth in my head to quit or not to quit.... And et voila:

Sorry for the upside down thing... I tried to fix it... Really!
For the evening, I had grand plans of cooking, but between yelling quads, hurting butt and a throbbing foot (really, I do this by choice... nobody makes me do this!)... the only thing I was able to say: "Can we go to the Mexican place? It's going to take me 5 minutes to grab a shower!"

So we went to eat Mexican... At 5pm on a Saturday... I so wanted to have the early bird senior special! After that, the grand evening plans continued with passing out on the couch - early!


Before passing out, I checked the weather forecast for Sunday every five minutes. According to that, I should have been golden for a 1pm ride with a friend. By the time I got up the next morning, the dry conditions were not supposed to come in before 3pm. I spent the next couple of hours being grumpy and irritable and kept on muttering: "I don't want to go on the trainer again.... I really don't want to go on the trainer again!"

After we got back from church, Terry said to get on the trainer soon, since the sooner I get on there, the sooner I'll be done with it. But I wasn't done with being grumpy yet and had lunch snacks. And then I realized the grand cooking plans (at least the prep work for it) from the night before. While I was standing in the kitchen being grumpy and getting grumpier by the minute, something magical happened: It stopped raining and the sun came out!

I think we broke a new record with getting ready and out of the house.

At 3pm we were ready to roll at the intersection Hwy 25 and Hwy 414. The plan was to ride out for 20 miles towards Table Rock and ride back. 10 miles of the way out would be a time trial for me. It was beautiful and sunny out there, but the wind was pretty wicked at times. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures.

The time trial was going fairly well. I was hoping for a flatter route at that point, but once we were past Pumpkintown, things became rolling... Still, in the end, this was a good effort for me.

On the way back we took it easy for the most part. The last 5 miles or so, sucked all the life out of me though. The wind was getting worse and worse and while I struggled to ride up a hill and was just able to produce a 9 point something speed, I started yelling at the wind to just shut up!!! Not one of my proudest moments. Eventually, we made it back to the car and once my feet defrosted I was one happy camper, that we were able to be outside at all that weekend. ;-)

Let's keep our fingers crossed, that next weekend, the planned 70 miles will happen on the road outside!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes 4.5 hrs. I can hardly talk myself into setting mine up let alone use it for 10mins...

    I waited for the clouds to part Sunday too. Thank goodness they finally did! I think you should be good this weekend.