Friday, January 7, 2011

Oh Finally...

... I finished up the audio book for "The Count of Monte Cristo"... The unabridged version... over 50 hours of recording.

While I am not a fan of a book that takes less than a week of commuting to get through, 50 hours are a little excessive and I am very happy to finally got it done.

Fortunately, I prepared for this moment ahead of time and was able to listen to an easy breezy one hour of "Radio Tatort" audio play. It's available as a podcast on iTunes for free... get it here.

In general, I am a big fan of free stuff (who isn't) and by the rate I am plowing through audio books (thank you sucky commute!), I had to find an alternative (a legal one) to by everything and anything off amazon. And while I was browsing the web, I found this little gem:

librivox.org

From their website:

LibriVox Objective

To make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet.

Our Fundamental Principles

  • Librivox is a non-commercial, non-profit and ad-free project
  • Librivox donates its recordings to the public domain
  • Librivox is powered by volunteers
  • Librivox maintains a loose and open structure
  • Librivox welcomes all volunteers from across the globe, in all languages

Given that all books have to be in the public domain to become a part of this project and then on top of it, have to be picked up by the volunteers at librivox to actually record an audio book, the selection is not very fresh. But hey, don't we all want to brush up on the classics?

I already have a couple more books lined up (Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Die Judenbuche), but before I tackle those, I will keep it a little lighter and shorter for a while.

So... and now I will take it easy for the rest of the night... Tomorrow is half marathon day.... Oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment