Sunday, October 17, 2010

Putting the SLOW between Long and Distance

 After my last post, I ended up doing.... Nothing. I just couldn't get myself to do anything and by the time I almost mustered up the courage to roll from the couch, I started having a headache. I still had that headache waking up the next morning. Don't know what is going on there... Too many headaches lately.

Anyways, I finally took some Advil and when the pain was gone, I headed out for my run. It was 10.30am by then already. But since it has cooled down by now, that wasn't a problem.

I wanted to clock my last 13 miler before the race in two weeks and that's what I ended up doing, but it sure was boring this time! Recently, I always had a plan for my long runs and most of the time, they were broken up in 20 to 30 minutes increments with a goal for each part. Or like last weekend when I did my long run with a group and we basically chatted the miles away. This time, I was keeping it VERY EASY on purpose... the whole time... SLOW!

Needless to say, I was on the road forever for these 13 miles and I was bored out of my mind. Also, I felt more tired at the end of the whole thing than I can remember having been after my previous long runs.

But all is good.... I feel ready to finally conquer the 13.1 mile distance in a race and become an official half marathoner.



Also, some Swamp Rabbit trail news, in case you are planning on traveling on the trail in the next couple of weeks. There is a section locked down now north of the Furman campus until December 2nd (according to the signs). They posted a detour on roads, that I marked greenish on the map.

Edit to add: They have this area locked down, because the ground is polluted with asbestos and who knows what else. That short part never got paved because of this and now they are trying to fix it.... and pave it.

How was your weekend? Anything fun happened?

So long! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. i wonder why that section is on lockdown? when i ran there a year or two ago i once wandered down that way. there was a sketchy old building of some sort.

    hope you're feeling better! no more headaches!

    ReplyDelete